Each day, an increasing number of Baby boomers retires. In fact, according to the United States Census Bureau all baby boomers will be 65 years of age or older by 2030. Retirement is a major milestone in anyone’s life. After years of endless hard work, it’s finally time to slow down, and enjoy life at a slower pace. If you know coworker who’s retiring soon, it would be a nice gesture to send them a gift or write a retirement card to recognize the next chapter of their lives.
In this article, I’ve written down more than 200 retirement messages and quotes you can use to celebrate this career milestone. Scroll down to see the full list of message options based on who’s sending the retirement card to whether it’s your coworker, friend, employee, or boss. Happy retirement!
- Creative Retirement Messages for Coworkers
- Funny Retirement Wishes for Coworkers
- Congratulations on Retirement Email Messages Examples
- Quotes about Retirement
- Retirement Wishes for Friends
- Retirement Wishes for Employees
- Retirement Wishes for Boss
- Emotional Retirement Messages
- What should you write in a retirement card?
Creative Retirement Messages for Coworkers
- You survived your career. Congratulations and happy retirement.
- You deserve you do nothing you don’t want to do over the next 5 years. Enjoy having the time for yourself for a change. You deserve it.
- I’ll miss having to talk to you whenever we have OT. You’re the best coworker I’ve ever had. Don’t forget to come back and visit us every once and awhile. Happy retirement!
- I hope you spend your retirement money buying an island and building a gorgeous tiny home with your golden retriever. I’ll miss you but I’ll always visit you anyway!
- I will miss spending long hours working with you, giving our best for every project. I’ll miss you but I know we’ll get to see each other often as well. Congratulations!
- You are the best coworker I’ve ever had. You’ve been waiting for your retirement and now it’s finally time! Enjoy your life and I’ll see you soon.
- You finally have the break you’ve always wanted. Time to go on new adventures and try out new things! Happy retirement. I’ll see you soon!
Working with you felt like I was working with a friend. Thank you for being so nice. I hope you enjoy your retirement and I wish you all the best.
- No more late-night meetings for you! You’ll always be my favorite coworker. Have the time of your life now that you’ve retired. You deserve only the best things in life. I’ll miss you! Congratulations.
- Keep smiling and stay as lovely as you are. I can just imagine all the great things you get to do now that you’ve retired. Stay in touch. I will miss you!
- I’ve never met anyone who is as dedicated to her job as you. Now that you’ve finally retired, I hope you find the time to do what you want to do, open a small business, and spend time with your grandkids. Happy retirement and congratulations!
- I know how much you’ll enjoy your retirement and you deserve it. You’ve been such a great coworker and an outstanding employee of our company, you only deserve to be the happiest after all the years of hard work. Happy retirement and congratulations! I’ll miss you.
- This is the time you’ve been waiting for! I hope that we can still keep in touch and finally do the things we planned on doing and places we’ve been wanting to visit. I’ll visit you often! Congratulations and happy retirement!
Related Reading: 153+ Example Messages and Quotes to Wish a Wonderful Weekend
- Out of everyone in the company, you’ve always been the one to be so excited about their retirement. The time has finally come! I can’t wait to see how you spend your days! I will surely miss you, but I know you’ll have an amazing time. Happy retirement!
- You no longer have to log in long hours, work for a boss who doesn’t appreciate you, and meet with clients who don’t respect your time and effort. You’re finally free and I am so happy for you. Happy retirement! Congratulations and I’ll miss you!
- You’ve been waiting for this day since forever and I can’t be more than happy for you for your freedom! You deserve this. I hope you become the happiest woman in the world because you do good to everyone including the bosses that don’t appreciate your hard work. Happy retirement!
- I know you love working and retirement is probably going to make you bored but force yourself to take the break you deserve. Happy retirement!
- To the best coworker ever – I hope you spend your time and money wisely so you don’t have to find work again. Happy retirement!
- Seeing you leave the office door brings tears to my eyes. But I know this is the start of your ultimate journey in life.
- Stay sweet and hungry for life and adventure. Keep me updated with all the happenings in your life! I’ll miss you!
- I am so jealous but I know you’ve worked long years than me. Wait for my retirement and we’ll continue doing crazy things in life!
To my favorite co-worker, you are now entering your retirement years. I am so excited to see the adventures ahead of you. Enjoy your time and congratulations on surviving the corporate life!
- Go back to being a kid as you enter your retirement life. Stay cool, stay active and keep going places! I am so happy for you. Happy retirement!
- I can’t wait to join you on your trips and I wish you would spend this time to regain your energy and positivity in life. No need to worry about work anymore! Congratulations!
- You’ve worked so hard to save money for your retirement and now that the time has come, I hope you enjoy to the fullest! You deserve this.
- You’ve been waiting for this time and I am so excited it’s finally here. Tell me all about your adventures. I want to see photos! Congrats on your retirement and I hope you have the best time of your life.
- It’s finally time to take a breather and enjoy life as it passes through. No more waking up early and coming home late from work. You have all the time for you and your family. Make the most out of it.
- Stay out of trouble now that you’re retired and please spend your money wisely. You don’t have a monthly paycheck you can expect from now on.
- I advise you to move to the countryside, find a man and grow crops. It’s the best way to spend your retirement life.
- Don’t ever step foot in the business area so your nightmares won’t come hunting you again. Happy retirement! Enjoy your life and send me photos when you can!
Funny Retirement Wishes for Coworkers
- I hope this time you get the me-time you always deserve, find a man to spend the rest of your life with or get 8 cats to live with. I will miss you. Happy retirement!
- No one stay with me during tedious working hours. I will miss you! But expect me to bother you every day starting next week.
- Congratulations! You get to be your own boss starting tomorrow. Happy retirement!
- I’m pretty sure you will miss having coffee with your best coworker, aka me. Happy retirement! I’ll visit you sometime!
- Now that you have a lot of money from your retirement pay I hope you find the time to shop decent clothes for yourself. Happy retirement and congratulations for your freedom!
- Now, the fun begins. Go back to dating. Don’t be scared to try online dating. It gets tiring to always go out and meet losers. Saves you plenty of time.
- You finally have your freedom. I hope you don’t go to jail. Be good and enjoy your retirement!
Keep in touch! I know you’ll miss me. Happy retirement! I feel like you’ll spend all your retirement money in Las Vegas.
- Remember, you have the time in the world to spend money. Don’t do it the following day of your retirement. You still need to live for a couple more years.
- You’re officially an elder who has no job and has plenty of money to spend. Happy retirement.
- You don’t have to pretend like you’re working anymore. Happy retirement!
- Finally, no one will hoard the boxes of coffee in the pantry. So happy you’re finally leaving. Happy retirement!
- No more miss know-it-all. Your retirement is a blessing to all of us here. Happy retirement and we hope to not see you ever again.
- No need to keep in touch. We’ve had enough of you for the past 40 years. Happy retirement, though!
- I’m sure you didn’t save enough money for your retirement. I just wish you don’t end up in jail or something.
- You’ve been waiting for this but what exactly are your retirement plans? I’m sure you don’t have money to spend your days on a cruise ship. Otherwise, just try to live and not die a month after your retirement.
- I will not miss having you around, the bossy co-worker who does nothing but instruct others to do her job. I hope you don’t enjoy your retirement because you’ve been a hell to work with.
Congratulations on Retirement Email Messages Examples
- Congrats on your retirement! No more long emails and sudden meetings. I wish you the best!
- Thank you for your hard work. You deserve this break. Happy retirement and congratulations on your freedom!
- Cherish the time you have for yourself and choose to spend your days only with the ones who make your heart happy. Congratulations on your retirement and I wish you all the best in life.
- Congratulations on your retirement and I’m proud to have had you in my team, you’ve always been the best out there.
- Congratulations on your outstanding career. I couldn’t have found someone better to help me run this company the way you did. Happy retirement!
- Thank you for all your hard work. Now, it’s time for your freedom. Congratulations!
- Enjoy your time as a retiree, you deserve it! Congratulations!
- You no longer have to send follow-up emails to your boss. I envy you! Congrats on your retirement. I hope you spend your time and money wisely. You deserve this.
- You deserve to enjoy your retirement life! Don’t regret everything. Congrats on retiring!
- This day has finally come. Enjoy it!
- Happy retirement. This will be the last email you’ll receive from me. Enjoy your life!
- Let the fun begin! Invite me when you decide to go on a vacation in the mountains. Happy retirement!
Have you auto-reply set to forever. So lucky you don’t need to work another minute of your life. Happy retirement!
- It feels only yesterday when you started working with us. I can’t believe you’re leaving for good. Happy retirement and congratulations!
- Best wishes on your retirement! I envy you but don’t worry, I’m also retiring next month!
- Have a restful retirement life. Hire a masseuse, drink wine and have friends over. Congratulations! I will miss you.
- Sit back and enjoy life. You finally have the freedom to do what you want in life. Happy retirement and congratulations!
- You will surely be missed! We’ve never had someone as great as you in our team. Happy retirement. You deserve the break!
- Time to start ticking off your bucket list. I am so excited for you! Keep me updated with your life. Happy retirement!
Quotes about Retirement
- “Retirement is not the end of the road. It’s the beginning of the open highway.” – Anonymous
- “Retire from work, but not from life.” – Anonymous
- “Retirement is when you stop living at work and start working at living.” – Anonymous
- “You fulfilled all your professional obligations, now is the time to achieve your personal aspirations. Retirement is the start of life’s golden phase. Give your childhood dreams one final chase.” – Anonymous
- “The joy of retirement comes in those everyday pursuits that embrace the joy of life.” – Byron Pulsifer
- “Retirement is like a long vacation in Las Vegas. The goal is to enjoy the fullest, but not so fully that you run out of money.” – Jonathan Clements
“People may live as much retired from the world as they like, but sooner or later they find themselves debtor or creditor to someone.” – Johann Wolfgang Vonn Goethe
- “When you retire, you switch bosses – from the one who hired you to the one who married you.” – Gene Perret
- “Retirement is a blank sheet of paper. It is a chance to redesign your life into something new and different.” – Anonymous
- “Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had the time before to notice the beauty of my grandkids, my wife, my tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.” – Hartman Jule
- “Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Planning for retirement is not something that we can put off until a later date. The time to plan is now.” – Bob Reid
- “For many, retirement is a time for personal growth, which becomes the path to greater freedom.” – Anonymous
- “Biggest relief after retirement is no more waiting for Sunday. Biggest joy after retirement is that every day is fun day.” – Anonymous
- “Retirement can and will be a glorious time in your life. You’ll love the freedom and ability to try new things. It’s a new phase of life; a chance to be a beginner again.” – Richard Carlson
- “Say goodbye to tension and hello to your pension.” – Anonymous
- “This is the beginning of anything you want.” – Anonymous
- “There’s never enough time to do what you want.” – Anonymous
- “Retirement is the world’s longest coffee break.” – Anonymous
- “What do you call a person who is happy on a Monday? Retired.” – Anonymous
- “Don’t simply retire from something; have something to retire to.” – Harry Emerson Fosdick
- “Others will keep working because the “gold” in our so-called “golden years” doesn’t have to come from watching sunsets.” – Anonymous
- “Retirement is not a work status. It’s an attitude.” – Anonymous
- “Retirement is waking up in the morning with nothing to do and by bedtime having done only half of it.” – Anonymous
- “Stay young at heart, kind in spirit, and enjoy retirement living.” – Anonymous
- “The money is no better at retirement, but the hours are.” – Anonymous
- “The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Anonymous
- “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – Anonymous
- “A retired husband is often a wife’s full-time job.” – Anonymous
- “Doing what I want, when I want.” – Anonymous
- “Retirement is not in my vocabulary.” – Anonymous
- “Retirement kills more people than hard work ever did.” – Anonymous
- “Retirement can and will be a glorious time of your life.” – Anonymous
- “I don’t want to. You can’t make me. I am retired!” – Anonymous
Retirement Wishes for Friends
- I wish you spend this time finally doing what you’ve always wanted to do. Go chase your dreams, it’s not yet too late.
- It’s finally time to spend your days doing what makes your heart happy. You deserve this. Happy retirement!
- You can now travel the world without thinking about the workload you passed on to someone else while you’re away. I hope you can take this time to travel wherever your heart pleases.
- You’ve always been a hard worker and I wish you all the best, all the time for yourself to do whatever you want. You deserve it.
- You finally have your life back. I wish you choose this time to make yourself happy.
- You deserve to reward yourself with all the good things in life. Happy retirement! I wish you a long happy life to enjoy your freedom from the corporate world.
- I can still remember the day you called me telling me you got the job. I was happy for you then and I am happier for you now. I hope you spend your time and money wisely. Happy retirement!
- It’s not too late to find the man of your dreams and travel the world together. You deserve happiness and the freedom to enjoy life as it is. Happy retirement!
I hope you spend your days drinking vodka by the beach. You deserve this time to work on yourself and enjoy life without any commitment. I am so happy for you. Happy retirement!
- You should travel as much as you can! Spend your money wisely but be sure to reward yourself. You’ve been such a hard worker who spent all her life working for selfish old men.
- Focus on yourself and your happiness. You don’t need to do the 9-5 work anymore. Enjoy your freedom!
- It’s time to take a break and slow down. All you’ve been doing is hustle and now is the time to relax and enjoy life. Happy retirement!
- You are now your own boss. Live your life the way you’ve always wanted. Happy retirement!
- This is the day you’ve been waiting for. Enjoy your freedom and start doing things you heart wants! Happy retirement and congratulations again!
- I am so excited about the adventure you’ll have now that you’re retired. You can do this! And please enjoy as much as you can!
- Your 7-day weekend starts today! I envy you but I know my time will come. Happy retirement!
- You’re so lucky you no longer have to dread Mondays. I’m excited about your next chapter in life. Happy retirement! I’ll see you soon!
- You are finally free! Let’s party all night and enjoy life how we should be.
You will now be spending more time with your grandkids. Make wonderful memories with them. Happy retirement!
- To the beautiful, hard-working retiree, this is your chance to once again be happy in life. Live like a child and experience everything life has to offer. You’re free to do so anyway. Happy retirement!
- I hope you live your life to the fullest now that you’re retired. Try everything and anything your heart desires. Happy retirement!
- Your someday is finally here. Enjoy and make the most out of every day.
- Retirement is another chapter in your life. I hope you enjoy it because you deserve this.
- You deserve a break after working so hard for many years. Happy retirement!
- Cheers to a new chapter in your life. I can’t wait to see the adventures you’ll have!
- Here’s another chance to do what you want and live life to the fullest. Happy retirement! You deserve this more than ever.
Retirement Wishes for Employees
- I wish you spend your retirement money wisely and build a house for yourself!
- This is the time to spend time with your family and have time for yourself as well. Enjoy it!
- Your devotion to this company has been outstanding. There is no one else like you. I hope you live the life you want and spend your days doing the things you love.
- I wish you happy, lovely retirement days.
- I hope you become the happiest person during your retirement days and spend each moment with a happy heart.
- I wish you good health and a happy retirement!
- You were the best on our team. I hope you enjoy your retirement, you deserve it!
- I’m jealous but I know my time will come. Please travel the world for me! Happy retirement!
- I hope that only the greatest things will come to you now that you’ve escaped the corporate life. Happy retirement! I’ll miss you!
- You’ve finally secured the freedom in life! I wish you bright, sunny days and a long, healthy, and happy life!
- Kick back and relax. I hope you’ve already booked your flight to the hottest island destination. Drink some rum and cola and make sure to have a tan!
- You’ve been so wonderful to work with. I wish you good health and long life to enjoy this phase in your life.
- You’ve been such a joy to work with. I hope you spend your days watching your grandkids running, and celebrate holidays in a faraway land. Happy retirement!
- Thank you for being an awesome employee who always puts others first and prioritizes work. You will be missed but we know it’s time to let you go. Happy retirement!
- I can’t wait to see how you spend your retirement life. This is your time to enjoy and have the best time. Happy retirement!
Related Reading: 101+ Creative Ideas for 1 Year Work Anniversary Messages and Quotes
- You’ve contributed so much to this company and it’s finally time to reap what you sow. Happy retirement! Enjoy life and money wisely!
- We hope your retirement is filled with only the best things in life. You deserve it. Happy retirement!
- Keep being your bubbly self and I can’t wait to see what experiences in life you’ll gain during your retirement life. Congrats and we’ll miss you!
- Enjoy doing nothing and sleeping 24 hours a day. Happy retirement!
- Goodbye early meetings and endless hard work. You’re finally free. Congrats and enjoy life!
- Thank you for being the professional that you are who worked with us for decades. We will surely miss you but it’s time for your freedom! Happy retirement!
- It’s time to start the new chapter of your life. I hope you enjoy your retirement! Eat good food, travel to new places, and meet new people. Live your life as a young, carefree adult!
- Keep being a great person with so much positivity in life. I wish that this retirement will make you experience things you haven’t experienced in life. Congratulations and happy retirement!
- To the best employee I’ve ever met, I hope you continue to do great things in life. Enjoy your retirement! You deserve it.
- Slay the retirement life by staying young at heart. Go and enjoy life! I’ll miss you!
- Best wishes for this new chapter in your life. I know you’ll love it.
- This day has finally come. I am so happy for you. You deserve a happy retirement life. I’ll miss you!
- You were such a hardworking employee. You deserve this retirement and I hope you enjoy it as much as you can.
- From now on, you’ll wake up each day with a smile on your face knowing you don’t have to work anymore. Happy retirement!
- Keep being the down-to-earth, cool person I know. I hope you enjoy your retirement. You deserve this.
- You’ll finally have time to visit all the places on your travel bucket list. I am so happy for you!
- Keep making people happy but remember to put yourself first. I know you’ll enjoy your retirement. You deserve this. Congratulations again!
- Your hard work has always been recognized. Now, it’s time to put your mind and body at rest. Enjoy retirement!
- Can’t imagine not having an employee like you but this retirement is such a blessing for a hardworking person like you. Congratulations and enjoy your retirement!
- All your hard work will be remembered. Thank you for all that you did for this company. Now it’s time to do things for yourself. Happy retirement!
Retirement Wishes for Boss
- You’re the best boss I ever had and I am so excited for your retirement because this is the break you deserve. Happy retirement! I wish you can finally make your dreams come true and open up the restaurant you’ve always wanted.
- I’m excited to see how you’ll spend your retirement days. You deserve this! I wish you find time each day to do something for yourself.
- I wish you the best time in your retirement days. This is what you’ve been waiting for and I know you have so many plans to make these days the best ones in your life.
- I hope that you can find the time to rest your mind and body. You’ve always been such a wonderful boss, such a hard worker who deserves nothing but the best.
- I wish you spend your days having a nice cup of tea by the beach, with the hand of your grandson caressing your delicate skin. Happy retirement.
- You’re a great person and leader. We will surely miss you but we hope you enjoy this time with your family.
- I wish you the best in your retirement. I call myself lucky to have had the chance to work for you and with you for all these years. I hope you have great retirement life.
- It’s sad that you’re leaving but I am happy you finally get to have the time for yourself. I hope you’ll still have donuts in the morning and whiskey every night. Happy retirement!
- I am sad that you’re leaving but happy knowing you will spend each day with your wife and lovely grandkids. I hope you finally get to have your much-needed trip!
I am lucky to have had the chance to work for you. As a boss, you were the best and I couldn’t have asked for anyone better. Be happy and enjoy your retirement! Again, congratulations.
- Now that you’re retiring, you have the time to do things you couldn’t before. Focus on yourself and your own happiness. Happy retirement!
- I am honored to have worked with a boss like you. Happy retirement! I hope we bump into each other and have tea someday. Congrats again!
- Wishing you a happy retirement filled with good, sunny days and lots of time spent with your loved ones.
- You were a great boss and I wish nothing but the best for your retirement life. You deserve to slow down and take a break and enjoy life.
- Continue being a boss and lead your life as awesome as you want. We’ll miss you! We are so grateful to have worked with a boss like you. We wish you all the best! Happy retirement.
- I am so blessed to have a boss like you. Now that you’re retiring, I wish you a blessed life full of the goodness the universe has to offer.
- We will never find a boss as great as you. You’ll be missed! Happy retirement!
- Keep making the world a better place. I can’t imagine the wonderful things you can do now that you have the freedom in this life. Happy retirement! We’ll miss you.
- Stay hungry for life and adventure. I can’t wait to hear your stories. You were more than a boss to me, you were and will always be a friend. Have a happy retirement!
- You don’t have to keep working until midnight anymore. Good job for such an incredible career run! You deserve a break and a happy retirement life.
- You’ve dedicated your life to working and doing a great job in our company. It’s time to work on your life and build up the happiness you deserve. Happy retirement!
Emotional Retirement Messages
- You sacrificed so much of your time working tirelessly day and night. This is the time to give back to yourself and relax. Spend your days doing what will make you and your heart happy. You deserve this.
- You no longer have to be a slave to big corporations who don’t care about you. I hope you do what will make you happy whether it’s doing music, art or cooking. You are the strongest woman I know and I really wish this retirement will give you peace in your heart and mind.
- All the years of crying and working endlessly have finally come to an end and I am excited to see how you’ll spend your days now that you don’t need to go to the office every day. Please take care of yourself and do what your future self will thank you for.
- You are now your own boss. You have the freedom to do what you want when you want it. Don’t ever be a slave for someone else again. Respect and love yourself enough to promise to stay away from toxic people and those who don’t respect your own time.
Related Reading: 155+ Congratulations on a New Job Quotes and Messages You Can Use
- I really wish you spend your money traveling because that’s what you’ve always wanted but never got the chance to do because you were working. This time you are free from working for your ugly boss so hopefully, you spend your days and nights relaxing, listening to music, and doing things that make your heart happy.
- You’ve been working since you were a teen. Now that your retirement is here, I hope you reward yourself with good days through traveling, meeting friends, and spending time with your family. Don’t think you haven’t done enough because you already did so much. I love you and please rest and remember you don’t work for anyone but yourself anymore.
- You finally have the time for yourself and your family. You deserve this break after working for so many years, sustaining the needs of your family. Please enjoy as much as you can. Happy retirement.
What should you write in a retirement card?
Sending a retirement card to your friend, co-worker or boss is showing your appreciation to the hard work they’ve done and wishing them the best in their retirement life. If you know someone who is retiring soon, you can write a meaningful message in the retirement card.
Here are some things you can write (aside from all the examples I’ve already provided):
- Congratulatory message – Talk about congratulating them for the years of hard work and sacrifice they’ve made. It’s not easy to work entire life so having someone recognize this milestone will make anyone’s heart happy.
- Well wishes – Write your retirement wishes to the person. Whether you wish for him/her to travel the world, spend time with their family or reading more books, it’s a nice gesture to show that you only want what’s best for them in the new chapter of their life.