It’s never easy to explain why you had to miss a funeral. But sometimes life or other obligations force you to miss the memorial. Here are some ways to explain circumstances and express your condolences to the family.
- Sorry for Not Attending a Funeral Messages
- Messages to Write in a Card When You Can’t Attend a Funeral
- Email Messages When You Can’t Attend a Funeral
- Message Examples If You Missed the Funeral
- Text Messages for Missing a Funeral
- Phone Scripts for Missing a Funeral
Sorry for Not Attending a Funeral Messages
- Sorry to hear about your loss. Your younger brother was quite a kid. I can’t be there during the funeral but I’m sending out my sincerest sympathies to you and your family.
- I am devastated by the news of your father passing away. My sincerest sympathies. I won’t make it to his funeral, but I’m sending out my prayers for all of you.
- I am honored to have known your father as he treated me like I was somebody important. I won’t be there at his funeral and I mourn for his loss. I will pray for you and your family and may God rest your dad’s soul.
- I am honored to have met your mom in my lifetime. I’m sorry I won’t be able to attend her funeral this Saturday. I am sending my sincerest sympathy to you and your family.
- I am shocked about your mother’s death. I know it is hard for the family and I’m sending my prayers to you. I regret i can’t make it to the funeral but know that I am thinking of you as you mourn.
I am sorry I can’t attend your brother’s funeral this Sunday. I am sending my condolences to your family and I pray for your brother’s soul.
- I am thinking of you as you grieve for your mother’s loss. Sorry I can’t make it to the funeral. Sending out my prayers to you.
- I can’t be there physically at your mom’s funeral. I will keep you in my prayers as you mourn for you mother.
- I can’t make it to your cousin’s funeral mate. I’m so sorry for your loss. My sympathies to you and family.
- I live far away and regret not being there at your dad’s funeral to comfort you. I’ll keep you in my prayers as you mourn your loss.
- I may not be at the funeral but I am also mourning with you at this difficult time. I’m glad to have met such a person like your dad. Condolences to everyone.
I may not be there during the funeral but believe me my heart goes out to you and everyone in the family. Your brother was a good man and I will cherish his memory. My condolences.
- I regret that I am far away from you. I wish I could be there during the funeral and talk about your sister’s death and comfort you.
- I sorry to hear about the death of your younger brother. I know it’s hard for everyone in the family. I can’t come to the funeral but I’ll keep you in my prayers.
- I too shall miss your dad, he’s been very kind to me. I’m sorry I can’t come to his funeral. My condolences to everyone in the family.
- I wanted to be at the funeral but things didn’t go as planned. I’m so sorry for you loss. My deepest sympathies to you and your family. Your dad was a great man.
- I feel bad that I can’t physically be there with you to help you through this incredibly difficult time. But you will be in my thoughts.
Messages to Write in a Card When You Can’t Attend a Funeral
- I am so sorry that I can’t be there to say goodbye to Aunt Jean. I have so many fond memories of her and Uncle Mike. These pink flowers reminded me of her.
- I wish I could be there with you, but I recently got out of the hospital. Please know that I am thinking about you and the rest of the family. Sending love to all, Roxanne.
- Please accept my sincerest apologies for not being able to attend the funeral. My heart aches knowing that I can’t be there to support you all during this difficult time.
- Please accept my sincerest apologies for not being able to attend the funeral. I really wanted to be there but I just couldn’t get away from work. I hope you can forgive me. All my love and sympathy.
- It’s with such sadness that I write this to let you know I won’t be at the funeral. Unfortunately I’ve caught the flu and just don’t feel well enough to attend. I’m so sorry I can’t offer my support and say my goodbyes. Sending you my love and sympathy.
- I really wish I was able to attend the funeral but my little boy isn’t feeling well. I will be thinking of you and praying for [the deceased’s name]. My deepest apologies
- I desperately wanted to be there for support and so I am incredibly sorry I can’t make it. Please accept my apologies and know I’m with you in spirit.
- I hope these flowers will go some way to making up for my missing the funeral. You know I wouldn’t have missed it if it wasn’t an emergency. I’m so sorry though.
- Please know that even though I can’t attend Judy’s funeral, I hold her memory deep in my heart. You may not know the story behind my friendship with your mom. I met her when I was at my lowest. I had just left an abusive relationship, and she opened her home to my daughter and me. She was such a special woman!
Related Reading: 200+ Happy Birthday to My Dad in Heaven Remembrance Messages
- Please know that I will pay respects from far away. Thank you for providing an online option for those who are not able to attend the services.
- I served with your brother in Vietnam, and I always regarded him as one of my best friends for life. Even though I can’t be there for his funeral since it is so far away, I wanted to tell you what a special person he was to me.
- I heard about your dads passing and I am so sorry for your loss. It’s a tragedy and I hope you’re doing ok. I’m really sorry I have to say this but I won’t be able to make the funeral. I promised my sister I would look after her kids and I can’t let her down. Could I send flowers instead? I know it’s not the same but I still would like to make an effort and show how much your dad meant to me. Once again I’m very sorry.
Learning of [deceased’s name] was such a shock. I won’t be able to come to the funeral unfortunately but will stop by sometime soon and be there if you need someone to talk or listen to. It’s so sad and we are all in mourning.
- I really wish I could be there on Thursday. I’m going to miss [deceased’s name] so much. It’s really upsetting to kiss saying goodbye but I’m sure it will be a beautiful service. I hope you can forgive me for not attending.
- My deepest condolences for your loss. I was all ready for the funeral but work have asked me to come in and I can’t say no. I hope you can understand why I won’t be able to come. I will be there in heart and spirit.
- I know this is pathetic of me but [deceased’s name’s] passing has hit me so hard I just don’t think I’m in the right place to be at his/her funeral. I don’t think I’ll be able to cope. I’m so sorry about this and hope you can understand how difficult it would be for me.
- I imagine saying goodbye to this person at the funeral is going to be sad and painful for you. I am sorry I cannot be there with you.
Email Messages When You Can’t Attend a Funeral
- I was so deeply saddened to learn of [deceased’s name’s] passing. He/she was a truly special person and leaves behind a huge gap in so many lives. Although I won’t be able to attend the funeral, I will be thinking of you and everyone there. Don’t hesitate to reach out if there is anything I can do or you need. All my love,
- [deceased’s name] was such an amazing person. The memories I have of her/him will never fade and I shall treasure them forever. Although I find myself unable to attend the funeral I shall be there in spirit and heart. I hope you can say goodbye and find some peace amongst the grief. With sympathy,
- It is with great sadness I write this note. I will miss [deceased’s name] so much and the warmth and love they brought to this world. I am deeply s