Today’s guest is Brandon Simpson, owner and operator of Jazzy B’s food truck in Kansas City, MO. Simpson is a 4+ year food truck entrepreneur that understands the realities of what it takes start and operate a successful food truck business and doesn’t sugar coat the fact that this is not an “easy” path to entrepreneurship as it can sometimes be portrayed in popular television reality shows.
Tune into episode 68 of the podcast to learn Simpson’s advice on operating a food truck business and the 6-week workshop that you can attend for free if you’re fortunate enough to live in driving distance of the Kansas City thanks in part to the Mid-Continent Public Library and other local organizations. If you’ve ever thought of starting a food truck, you won’t want to miss this week’s show.
Quotes From The Show
The more you educate folks and not have to start off hard like I did, the better off the community is. When you have numbers of people running their business correctly it makes [food trucks] a staple in Kansas City and a viable part of the economy. – Brandon Simpson on some of his inspiration on wanting to help spearhead a food truck workshop.
You’re not the hare. You’re the turtle in this when you’re building this business. – Brandon Simpson on what kind of mindset, time, and patience it takes to be successful in this industry.
What You’ll Learn
- Some of the common misconceptions of operating a food truck
- Where you can go to get your food truck business questions answered by professionals
- How Simpson differentiates his blend of barbecue from others in the city.
- Learn about the Kansas City food truck scene
- How you can get signed up for this free 6-week workshop if you live in the area.
- The need to wear many different hats as a food truck owner: mechanic, head chef, business man, scheduler, and customer service.
- Why it’s often a long road to success in the mobile food industry
- Why you need to be mindful about what tasks you outsource and those you keep for yourself.
Mentioned During the Show
Jazzy B’s Food Truck – Serving up some of the finest BBQ in the KC area. And that’s saying a lot! Brandon Simpson is the owner of Jazzy B’s food truck and today’s featured guest.
Kansas City Food Truck Association – An eclectic group of food truck owners that have banded together to help promote mobile food in the city and influence local legislation in positive ways.
Kansas City Food Truck Mafia – Book one or more food trucks for your next KC event by visiting this link. This is also a great place to discover more of the mobile eating options in the area.
Mid-Continent Public Library – Network of libraries serving the Kansas City area. This organization is hosting the 6-week food truck workshop from April 23rd – May 27th 2015. Visit their website for more details about this event.
Starting a Food Truck in KC – Learn more about starting a food truck in Kansas City in this article.